Request email notification when page changes Email Me E-Notify

Marriage FAQ

What are the acceptable forms of identification?

A driver’s license with photograph, State issued Identification Card, Passport, and Military Identification Card with photograph, or a current School Identification Card with photograph. Agents, attorneys, or legal representatives must also furnish documentation of authority in order to receive a certified certificate on an individual.

How do I obtain a copy of my marriage license?
You may request a copy by mail or in person. Copies are available upon return of the original marriage license.  A certified copy is available for $10.00. You must show driver's license or picture ID to get a certified copy.  To obtain a certified copy of your marriage license online, simply click the link below and follow the instructions.

Can we apply for a marriage license in Surry County and get married in another county in the state?
Yes, the marriage ceremony can be performed in any North Carolina county. 

Is a premarital physical required?
No, a physical examination is no longer required.

How long is the license valid?
It is valid as soon as it is issued and remains valid for sixty days from the date of issue.

What are the requirements to obtain a marriage license?

Applicants for a marriage license are requested to be at the office before 4:30 pm. Both parties are required to come unless one is incarcerated, out of the country with the military, hospitalized or in a nursing facility. Approval of Register of Deeds is required before one party to the marriage will accept an affidavit in lieu of personal appearance. We highly recommend that you get your marriage license at least a week before the marriage in case there are unforeseen problems. The cost of the license and marriage certificate is $61.00. (We do not accept out of state checks. We accept Debit and Credit Cards), a certified copy of the marriage license is an extra $10.00. We do not accept checks from out of state.  You are no longer able to bring cell phones with you into the courthouse so please write down and bring with you the name and phone number of the officiant (ordained minister or magistrate). 

If 18 or older

  • A driver’s license or Photo ID issued by the state
  • You must know your Social Security number.
  • We must see Final Divorce Decree

If 16 or 17 years of age

  • Birth Certificate
  • You must know your Social Security number.
  • Parent having full or joint legal custody of the minor who will sign to give consent to the marriage.  If parents are separated or divorced, we must have documentary evidence of custody.  If divorce does not state who has custody, it is assumed it is joint custody; therefore, either parent can sign (Per Janet Mason.)  If proof of custody cannot be provided, both parents will have to give consent.
  • By a person, agency of institution having legal custody or serving as a guardian of the underage party who will give consent.  (Documentary evidence required)
  • If emancipated, then proof of emancipation is required and parental consent is not required.

If 14 or 15 years of age

Can only be issued when the party is pregnant, has given birth to a child or is the putative father to the child born or unborn. 

  • Court order by District Court Judge authorizing marriage.
  • Birth Certificate
  • You must know your Social Security number.

Marriage for those under 14 is not allowed in North Carolina.

Can you apply for a marriage license after the marriage ceremony has taken place?

No. A marriage ceremony cannot take place unless a valid marriage license has been issued.

How do I change my name?

The applicant is responsible for changing their name. You may wish to contact your local department of Motor Vehicles and the Social Security Administration for information.

How do I obtain a copy of my divorce?

If the divorce was processed in Surry County you may obtain a copy from the Clerk of Court’s Office on the second floor of the Judicial Center.