Request email notification when page changes Email Me E-Notify

Landfill/Public Works Fee Changes

The following changes to the Surry County Public Works fees were effective July 1, 2021:

  1. Residential and Commercial brush - $35 per ton
  2. Televisions - $5 each
  3. All items brought to the landfill for disposal will be subject to the tipping fee ($47 per ton); this includes mattresses and box springs, furniture, etc.
  4. The Surry County Public Works Department will NOT be collecting glass at convenience centers. Unfortunately, glass does not have a stable market and is not cost-effective to recycle. Glass will only be accepted to recycle at the Landfill location at 237 Landfill Road in Mount Airy.

The Public Works Fees are below. Please call 336-401-8375 with any questions or concerns.

PUBLIC WORKS FEES (effective July 1, 2021)

Landfill Tipping Fee                                       $45 per ton  

State Tax                                                               $2 per ton

TOTAL TIPPING FEE                                     $47 per ton

Residential and Commercial Brush      $35 per ton

Tires (off the rim) - Tires not eligible for free disposal will be accepted for disposal along with the required fee.  $125 per ton (car, LT and truck tires) $300 per ton extreme muddy, foreign trash, debris; $400 per ton OTR tires that measure 60" or more in diameter (rates are subject to change).  Refer to current Scrap Tire Collection Plan for more information.

Fluorescent Bulbs                                           $1 each                                                                      

Electronics (commercial only)                 $.35 per pound

Televisions                                                           $5 each

Pallets                                                                     $45 per ton

No charge items accepted at all convenience centers:

  • Household bagged garbage
  • Aluminum
  • Mixed paper
  • Cardboard
  • Plastic

No charge items accepted at the Mount Airy Landfill:

  • Glass
  • White Goods
  • Scrap Metal
  • Tires off the rim (with completed State form)
  • Residential electronics (excluding televisions)