Landfill/Public Works Fee Changes
The following changes to the Surry County Public Works fees were effective July 1, 2021:
- Residential and Commercial brush - $35 per ton
- Televisions - $5 each
- All items brought to the landfill for disposal will be subject to the tipping fee ($47 per ton); this includes mattresses and box springs, furniture, etc.
- The Surry County Public Works Department will NOT be collecting glass at convenience centers. Unfortunately, glass does not have a stable market and is not cost-effective to recycle. Glass will only be accepted to recycle at the Landfill location at 237 Landfill Road in Mount Airy.
The Public Works Fees are below. Please call 336-401-8375 with any questions or concerns.
PUBLIC WORKS FEES (effective July 1, 2021)
Landfill Tipping Fee $45 per ton
State Tax $2 per ton
TOTAL TIPPING FEE $47 per ton
Residential and Commercial Brush $35 per ton
Tires (off the rim) - Tires not eligible for free disposal will be accepted for disposal along with the required fee. $125 per ton (car, LT and truck tires) $300 per ton extreme muddy, foreign trash, debris; $400 per ton OTR tires that measure 60" or more in diameter (rates are subject to change). Refer to current Scrap Tire Collection Plan for more information.
Fluorescent Bulbs $1 each
Electronics (commercial only) $.35 per pound
Televisions $5 each
Pallets $45 per ton
No charge items accepted at all convenience centers:
- Household bagged garbage
- Mixed paper
No charge items accepted at the Mount Airy Landfill:
- White Goods
- Scrap Metal
- Tires off the rim (with completed State form)
- Residential electronics (excluding televisions)