Surry County helps veterans and dependents obtain benefits and services through our Veterans Services Office. Some of the benefits and services with which we assist in applying are but not limited to:

Disability Benefits – Veterans Affairs (VA) disability compensation if a disability occurred as a result of your military service. You can also apply for a disability pension if you are a wartime veteran and have limited income and cannot work. Medicare requires that you apply for VA benefits first if you are eligible.

Dependent and Survivor Benefits – For spouses, unmarried children under 18, helpless children, and low-income parents of service members: Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) if the service member died on active duty or as a result of service-related disabilities (rated at 100% service connected for 10 years); Death Pensions; and VA Civilian Health and Medical Programs.

Hospital and Medical Care – Medical care from VA facilities, outpatient medical treatment, dental pharmacy and prosthetic care, care from nursing homes, domiciliary and home health care organizations. Referrals for readjustment counseling and drug and alcohol treatment are made, as appropriate.

Burial Benefits – The VSO honors our nation's deceased veterans and assists family members in applying for headstones and markers for graves, burial flags, burial expenses reimbursement and Presidential Memorial Certificates.

Education and Training – Educational benefits if you are in an approved training program. You can use your Montgomery GI Bill, Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP), Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance, Federal Employment and On-the-Job Training benefits to further your education.

Vocational Rehabilitation – Service-disabled veterans may be eligible for VA-funded special retraining in order to obtain suitable employment (may include the costs of training, monthly living expenses, counseling, and related medical and dental treatments).

Home Loans – Assistance with obtaining a VA-guaranteed loan for a home, a manufactured home, a lot or a condominium. Assistance is also available with building, repairing or improving a home (including special grants for adapting homes to accommodate special needs), and/or mortgage refinancing.

State of North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs – The State of North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs provides scholarships for children of certain deceased, disabled or POW/MIA veterans. NCDVA also offers employment hunting and fishing licenses, special auto license plates, certified records and other special programs. The Surry County VSO is available to help access these resources and services.

Other Services:

  • Direct access to Veterans Information System (VIMS) to assist in processing VA claims
  • Vet View, which provides general information regarding VA benefits
  • Assistance in obtaining military records from the National Military Records Center
  • Assistance in obtaining official documents from the Register of Deeds, Vital Records and Clerk of Court in Wake County
  • Helping homeless veterans with obtaining military paperwork, employment assistance, medical care and transportation

For more information about benefits and services for veterans, please call 336-783-8820.

istockphoto-694171876-612x612 - Copy (2)