Motor Vehicles

 The way you pay your registered motor vehicle property tax has changed! Beginning with September 2013 registrations, you pay your registered motor vehicle tax and your registration fee to the NC Dept. of Motor Vehicles at the same time. The tax bill will be included on your renewal notice from the DMV. You will no longer receive a separate vehicle tax bill from Surry County. It is important that you keep your address current with the Department of Motor Vehicles to ensure receiving your combined tax bill and registration notice timely. Please review your notice carefully.  This notice should identify Surry County as being your county and any other district tax owed such as school tax or fire tax.

If your notice does not have your county, school or fire district tax correct- STOP!  Please contact the Surry County Tax Office immediately at 336-401-8100.

 Your registered motor vehicle taxes will be paid to the Department of Motor Vehicles. The tax office will still process appeals of value within 30 days of the date due, correct situs (location inside the county where vehicle is to be taxed), and process refunds resulting from the sale of a vehicle or a move out of state within 365 days of the date of plate surrender to DMV.

FAQ's for Gap Billing

DMV Notice

Print Motor Vehicle Tax Receipt Using MyDMV Portal

Surry County Government Services Center
915 E. Atkins Street
P. O. Box 588
Dobson, NC 27017
(336) 401-8100 (O)
(336) 401-8120 (F)