What are the requirements for becoming a Notary Public?
- An applicant must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
- An applicant must reside in this state or if a nonresident, be employed in this state.
- An applicant must satisfactorily complete a course of study that is approved by the Secretary of state consisting of not less than three hours nor more than six hours of classroom instruction provided by a community college in North Carolina unless the person is a licensed member of the Bar of this state.
- An applicant must submit an application containing no significant mis-statement or omission of fact.
- Any person who has been found guilty of treason or any other felony against this state, the United States, any other state, or any person who has been found guilty of corruption or malpractice in any office, or any person who has been removed from any office by impeachment will not qualify.
Do I need an appointment to take my oath?
No appointment is necessary.